Thread: Racist?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #38
pervipete
Watching from the shadows

pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)pervipete has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pervipete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
It's only the fact that I have known you so well for so long that keeps me from unpacking the flame thrower. I'm sure you weren't referring to me in the "anyone who detests racism is just being PC" remark.

Like Somedude, I am also part Native American. My grandmother was from the Narragansett tribe and we have always been proud of that heritage. For the record, although the term "redskin" was a perjorative term a hundred years ago, using it as the name of a sports team doesn't bother me or any of my family since we do not feel it pertains to us or anyone we know.

I have many prejudices, but none of them have to do with race or religion or sexual orientation or country of origin or any of the more traditional reasons for mindless hating.
I know you do not Sierra, it was not aimed at anyone in particular, neither is what I am about to say, still, you don't 'alf look sexy with bunched up panties, wanna hand with them?

I was just musing a little, mainly because in the UK these type of stories seem to come from the same kind of sources, the more rabid right wing, hate everything that is not them papers, usually using it to knock the left. And which normally when placed under the cold light of investigation turn out to be nothing more than horseshi. And to picture what I mean, one of which is owned by the same multinational thats owns Fox news. And a few that makes Der Sturmer look like a hotbed of left wing radicalism.

Plus, well I was also musing about the way we celebrate Christmas, how many of us go to church, or even know the story? And anyway, one of the tradition names, Yule, comes from an ancient Pagan festival, Germanic I believe. Maybe we need freedom to use both a religious and more secular title for the time? I'll have to ask a couple of pagan friends of mine if they use a different name or if they use Christmas as well...

Some of the things that are considered PC by some, like not setting out to offend others of another race, gender, religion or whatever, I just consider it just plain good manners, plus, well listen to their story, you never know, you may learn something.

But, neither do I believe there is anything inherently wrong about discussing matters such as immigration and religion, it is not bigoted to query whether a country has room for more people, in fact it's quite healthy. It when it spills over into discussions about those who were born here to first, second, etc generation immigrants that I feel a little disquiet.
pervipete is offline   Reply With Quote