View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:36 AM   #17
gal4
UnWanted Trick Baby

gal4 Level 5 (500+)gal4 Level 5 (500+)gal4 Level 5 (500+)gal4 Level 5 (500+)gal4 Level 5 (500+)gal4 Level 5 (500+)

What is the definition of religion?
I have to admit that I don't have a clear idea of what it is.

Do you people know what it is?

Otherwise, it would be like the fable of the six blind men and the elephant.

Anything that would cause so much oppression, suffering, and misdirection cannot be called religion.

"Oh, Lord, I beleive, Help Thou, My Unbelief"

There is a lot to be said of the contentment of mind and spirit.

Because once you attain it. Nothing else matters.

Remember, my sister beating me severely, but I could withstand it.

I did not break.

Sort of similar to Jean Paul Satre, when interrogated and tortured by the Germans, discovered that there was sitll something inside him, still defiant, still could say "No". That to me is much more satisfying than just a useless parody of this so called established "state" religion.

If you would truly attack religon, attack its cornerstone, faiith.

Especially, by "Hume's Wrecking Ball".

Quote:
_Named after David Hume, Scottish philosopher of the 18th century. His ideas represent a radical paradigm shift, often referred to as 'Hume's wrecking ball.'

_Reality (our understanding of it) is the product of the observer.

_No dichotomy is recognized between objective and subjective because the observer is always part of the system being observed.

_Science is not a topological map of reality. Rather, it invents reality.
Laws of science are inventions that model reality, describing in a non-contradictory way predictable relations between variables. Therefore, there can be more than one possible realities.
(If this is the case, how can we distinguish between good/bad, right/wrong inventions?
What are the evaluation criteria?)
Facts and truths are not related isomorphically. A fact/truth is not something fixed but a reliable event; something that is repeatable.

_Science, therefore, does not deal with fixed truths but with facts understood probabilistically.

_Question of Reliability: Does the science prove what it purports to relative to a given context?

_Question of Validity: What is the relevance of the reliable world, created/constructed for scientific investigation, to the world of our experience (musical or otherwise)?
http://www.ethnomusic.ucla.edu/courses/276/carthume.htm
Now, what else is to be done?
gal4 is offline   Reply With Quote