View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #303
rightidiot
Privileged Member

rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)rightidiot has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Default Winrar CRC errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by santaporing View Post
downloaded it twice.. got a CRC error both times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
santaporing that appears to be a file error look at the file size shown at rs.
sparks
santaporing - Im sorry to hear of your problems. The CRC error is the bane of my life - despite all my attempts to prevent it.

sparks - single upload cryptload files generally have a 0 kb signature - because they only hold links to other hosting sites. Its only the multiple upload ones that have a +1k size.

I do test the files when they are rar-ed for uncompression errors on both the same machine and a seperate machine - so I know that the original file was ok.

However, I did download and test the file you stated, and I too got the same error message. Tried un-compressing it with Winrar on 2 different machines with no success. I then un-compressed it with 7-zip - and hey, I got the error message, but the file un-compressed.

The CRC error is one of these really, really strange problems that I have never been able to get to grips with. Some of my rar files dont pass the winrar's own tests. Some which do pass these tests, subsequently give a CRC error after downloading, and except for 1 in 25 are solved using 7-zip.

Can anybody can rid me of the rar CRC problem ?????? - because I cant find a bloody solution (yes I have tried different versions including betas of winrar).

In the interim my advice to all of you who are suffering from the infamous winar CRC problems is to use 7-Zip, before downloading another copy.

7-Zip will properly un-rar these file, even though it give you the same error message, where as winrar - just stops whenever their is an error. 7-Zip is a small freeware utility - download link. Remember, it will give you the message - but it will uncompress the file - unless its really, really corrupted.

I would be grateful, if you could report back you findings here - positive or negative - doesnt matter - as it helps us all.

Last edited by rightidiot; 02-01-2009 at 12:20 AM.
rightidiot is offline   Reply With Quote