View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
somedude
W.I.R. and Marshal

somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlyformed View Post
I had no idea about the insurance fraud angle. I knew it was a protest against english tea being taxed so americans wanted to buy dutch tea.

The werid thing being, dutch tea was more expensive, tax or no tax. So I guess that lends something to the merchants organising it.

So America is based on a lie..... Interesting

x
The tax and the laws against buying Dutch tea were two separate but related issues. Besides being angered by taxes imposed by the crown, the American Colonists were also rather peeved about British trade regulations that made it illegal for them to trade with non-British merchants. In fact, the American Revolution (Which was actually a successful colonial rebellion!) was largely started by wealthy American merchants and such who wanted to free themselves of British taxes and restrictive trade laws.

So America isn't so much based on a lie as a carefully constructed tapestry of half truths!