View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Sierra
Privileged Member

Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batffink View Post
I always try to use English correctly and sympathise with other nationalities who struggle with the main rule of English ie: There are no rules.
However, I'm getting fed up to the back teeth with those five words that every lazy English speaking bastard seems to use these days.

Fantastic.
Icon.
Basically.
Awesome.
Absolutely.

For fuck's sake get it right!

"Fantastic" means not real, a fantasy and something imaginitive. Why don't they use words such as "Incredible', "Marvellous" and "Great" etc. instead?

Icon is a religious painting, not a name for some person or thing that is well known.

Why do some people start a sentence off with "Basically"? ie " "Basically I was just minding my own business"

Why is something out of the ordinary always described as "awesome" whether it evokes awe or not?

My pet hate. People saying "Absolutely" instead of a simple "Yes." Absolutely Fucking What?

OK. I've had my whinge for the week. There you go. Absolutely!
I shamefacedly admit that I do use "absolutely" to mean a vehement affirmative, but am not guilty of the others. As a former English teacher I tend to be very precise in my speech and writing. Others find this annoying but ... *shrug*
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote