View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
somedude
W.I.R. and Marshal

somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)somedude has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Morally this is a very clear cut case! You don't drug and rape thirteen year old girls!
Legally this case is a lot more complex. The laws of California at the time of the case were much more lenient and what Polanski plead guilty to was essentially a violation of the Statutory Rape Law. Polanski was tried and plead guilty to the crime he committed so he cannot be retried for the actual sexual crime. What Polanski will be returned to the United States and tried for is fleeing the country to avoid his original prison sentence, which is a felony and could earn him several years in prison if convicted.
The circumstances around Polanski's flight are a bit strange since a judge negated his plea agreement which would have given Polanski no jail time and sentenced Polanski to something like 90 days in prison because of the high profile case. The prosecuter in the case has actually said he understands why Polanski fled and the victim has on camera stated she thinks Polanski was mistreated and wishes the case would be dropped. Personally I'll leave this all up to the courts to decide!