View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #28
snarkopo
It's been fun

snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)snarkopo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to snarkopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwham View Post
I think you missed the point, when a person is obsessed with something, whiter it be their religion, job, sports, drugs, etc, it preoccupies and dominates their feelings, desires and actions to the extreme, so in a sence their obsession becomes their religion, for they hold it more important than anything else.
I know what you mean when people say someone is "religious" about something. But it is still very different from actual religion. Sports don't tell people what to believe or what to do, how to act or think, what is true or false (according to doctrine) Neither do drugs. Jobs... well ya got me there, almost.

Quote:
There are just as many none religious based atrocities carried out down through history as there are religious based atrocities, and they both have one thing in common, hate ... On May 26, 1830, president Andrew Jackson of the United States signed the Indian Removal Act which resulted in the Trail of Tears. ... The Nazi German government's persecutions and expulsions of Jews in Germany, Austria and other Nazi-controlled areas prior to the initiation of mass genocide. Estimated number of those who died in the process is nearly 6 million Jews ... During World War II, in Kosovo & Metohija, approximately 10,000 Serbs lost their lives, and about 80 to 100,000 or more were ethnically cleansed. After WWII new communist authorities banned to Serbian and Montenegrin, who had been expelled during the war, from returning to their abandoned estates, and the list goes on and on.
Well you named 2. That's hardly proof of "just as many". And how do you know a belief that Indians were GODLESS savages didn't have a hand in his (Jackson's) thinking?
But it would be impossible for us to count all the "bad" things done on account of religion versus just people being.... people.

From what I know of history, and it's thin I admit, people didn't fight over or kill others or really judge others based on what god or gods they believed in until christianity came along. That was the first time people had a notion about being right, and rightious and knowing the "one true god". And being able to judge others as heathens, etc....

Anyway I'de like respectfully to lay this argument to rest. I have my beliefs and I know they aren't popular with anyone who does have a belief in god or religion.
I said what I felt but beyond that it's an endless debate.