Thread: The Crossing
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Intheshadows
Privileged Member

Intheshadows Level 6 (600+)Intheshadows Level 6 (600+)Intheshadows Level 6 (600+)Intheshadows Level 6 (600+)Intheshadows Level 6 (600+)Intheshadows Level 6 (600+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Intheshadows
Default The Crossing

“Mom, I know what I’m doing. There is no life for me down here, no opportunity. I’ve been saving for two years and have been studying English my whole life. Aunt Maria says she will be able to find me a job when I make it to Dallas and I will be able to send money home to you and Dad.”, I said.

“Lourdes, I know you are an adult now but it is very risky and dangerous crossing into the States these days. It is especially dangerous for a young naïve beautiful girl such as yourself.”, Mother replied.

“I’m not naïve and know how to take care of myself, I will be leaving tonight and there’s nothing you can do to stop me. Everything has been arranged, the Coyote will be picking me up tonight at 11pm.”, I said.

“You are a young fool, Lourdes, put you must learn on your own. Put please take this with you, it is called the morning after pill, many young girls like yourself are mistreated by the Coyote’s or the border guards.”, Mother said.

I took the pill from Mother and put it into my purse. I said, “Don’t worry Mom, I can take care of myself and this Coyote has very good references. You brought up a good Catholic girl and I will keep myself pure until I marry. What you’ve heard is just stories to scare people, but I will take the pill to make you happy.”

The Coyote arrived at 11pm as planned and drove to the border crossing, there would be a group of twelve of us and two Coyote’s. We would go on foot and have to walk ten miles to meeting point across the border where we’d be picked up.
Intheshadows is offline   Reply With Quote