View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #34
Becka
Immodest Mod

Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Becka has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Becka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-the-ripa View Post
I don't know what your idea of the Middle Ages is, but my notion of European Middle Ages extends until the late 17th century. And I believe we have Aligieri, Machiavelli, Shakespeare...
And, by the way, according to some historical theoreticians The Middle Ages are not the same as The Dark Age...
Middle Ages: Roughly 5th century (fall of what was left of the Roman Empire in the west) to 15th century (beginning of the Renaissance). To consider the 17th century and Shakespeare the Middle Ages is bizarre. You are completely eliminating the Renaissance, the Age of Colonization and the "golden age" of English history! Are you telling me that the first English colonies in America were settled in the Middle Age? By the dates you give you are. Not likely!

Renaissance: 14th through the 17th century...This is the age of Florence, of science and art, of DeVinci and the Protestant Reformation (consequentially begun 490 years ago yesterday). There is a huge difference between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

And you say the late 17th century? By this point John Locke, Johann Sebastian Bach, and Sir Issac Newton are all alive and some soon to be dead. Twelve of the thirteen colonies were founded and the United States was less than 100 years from independence. I really don't see where you came up with those dates.

B.

Oh...and...
The Dark Ages are thought of by many historian as being part of the Middle Ages...the earlier part of the Middle Ages that is.

Hey, where am I going?
And why am I in this hand basket?

Darling, a true lady takes off her dignity with her clothes and does her whorish best. At other times you can be as modest and dignified as your persona requires.
Becka is offline   Reply With Quote