PDA

View Full Version : The Sky Gods...

somedude
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Well according to ChiTownHoney the sky gods or the invisible forces of the universe must be smacking us around for being overpopulated again...

Earth earthquake in China!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080512/ap_on_re_as/china_earthquake

A cyclone in Myanmar (think Burma was a better name)!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080512/ap_on_go_ot/us_myanmar

A storm in the Mid Atlantic states!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080512/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather_delaware

Tornadoes in the Great Plains and South!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weather/story?id=4835385&page=1

We must be seriously overpopulated...stop fucking and having children! Stop now or more storms and quakes and the invisible beings know what will strike us down for our overpopulating...:D

Sanitarium
05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
We must be seriously overpopulated...stop fucking and having children! Stop now or more storms and quakes and the invisible beings know what will strike us down for our overpopulating...:D

So ... rapists do not forget your condoms when you go to "work"! :D

ChiTownHoney
05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Damn straight, God is pissed off. Not because of overpopulation, but because the human race has turned into a cesspool of sin. Maybe if there were less abominations in the world, none of that stuff would happen. I suggest people stop messing with things that they shouldnt and start living simple lives.

somedude
05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I hope you do realise I was mocking you...;)

And I also hope you realise that reasonable people stopped believing that natural disasters were punishment from god in the 1700s...

ChiTownHoney
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
So the only REASONABLE people are the athiests? Thats why God is pissed. I hope He bitch slaps you. :D

somedude
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm not an atheist...I just believe in science and reason. Do I believe in god...well no! Do I deny the existence of the divine...as I always say science can neither confirm nor deny the existence of the divine.
And I've lived through fires, floods, earthquakes, storms, blizzards, car wrecks and a shit ton of other crap...so if as you think god is trying to smite me he's not doing a very good job;)

JohnnyReb
05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I can understand, or at least accept, that some people believe there's an invisible man in the sky looking over them. But I really can't believe that there are still people in the world who honestly believe that God controls the weather.

somedude
05-13-2008, 02:05 AM
There's a name for people who believe god controls the weather...idiots!:D

touriquet2001
05-13-2008, 02:42 AM
from .... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. Q.E.D."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-13-2008, 03:56 AM
ok so 3 guys went on holiday to the alps and all of them shared the same hotel room to save money. This also then meant they had to share the same bed.

The next morning, as they woke up - the guy on the left said "wow! i know this sounds crazy but i dreamt i was having a wank last night" . The guy on the right looked at him in amazement and said "holy god in heaven , i dreamt the same thing !! that i was having a furious wank".

Then the guy who slept in the middle woke up, yawns and says " i had this most amazing dream last night, i dreamt i was skiing all over the alps" :D :D :D :skull-big

I dont know what this has to do with god lol but its a damn funny joke lol !!:D

somedude
05-13-2008, 04:36 AM
LOL! Good one!:D

tom8517
05-13-2008, 12:48 PM
And the Lord God brought forth beer, and saw that it was good, and he gaveth beer to the man, and said "drink of this beer, and then chaseth the woman around the garden"

:skull-bee

ego
05-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Letter to god:

"Dear god, could i skip the beer part?"

somedude
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
So you want to go straight to the chasing women part ego?:D

ego
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
No, i just dont drink beer! :D

SecretObsession
05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
IMO it does make it difficult to have faith when science conflicts so much with religion and that believers have to keep rethinking and adapting their beliefs. But at the same time, when you start to think about "the universe" and that it is literally infinite, and that the majority of it is empty, and that we are on this little tiny blue speck, and yet somehow we have the ability to even contemplate our existence inside the vastness of eternity... you've got to at least question the possibility of God :skull-sai

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 12:49 AM
There's a name for people who believe god controls the weather...idiots!:D

and you are going to be the bitch to ANOTHER powerful force..KARMA. So I hope you think of me when a tree falls on your house, because I will be praying hard so that God bitch slaps each and every judgemental person especially people who call other people idiots because of their beliefs..

somedude
05-14-2008, 02:14 AM
You know if you believe in karma then wishing ill upon others means ill things will happen to you...;) Honestly do you even know a thing about any of these philosophies you toss around...

dashrendar44
05-14-2008, 04:21 AM
LOL...chi, what denomination of christian are you? because depending on your answer i can prove god doesnt exist :P plus, you believe in god AND karma? you cant have both hun, its one or the other, and god doesnt make karma either so dont try to pull that one...personally i dont believe in either but i do believe in equivalent exchange, which differs from karma in that with karma, if i close the elevator on someone, ill get in a car crash with a person ive never met, and itll happen about 5 years after the fact, while with EE if i close the elevator on someone, the person will punch me in the face later in the day...much more logical :p

ego
05-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Its a thing i always was curious with people who believe in God. Do you really consider yourself important enough for a hyper-being like Him to potter away his time with your puny existence?
People, He came, said what you have to do and left. What you thought, He's gonna beg you?
The thought that God is punishing someone is egotistic and arrogant. You're not worthy enough to make Him deal personally with you!
Nature has some "rules". Tends to do things to the lower energy cost way. A thunder will always choose the shortest way, a tree, a rock, will fall to achive a lower dynamic energy status. Regardless where the evil people stand, causality will work the same.
And that, makes Chi's suggestion "I suggest people stop messing with things that they shouldnt and start living simple lives." a very interesting one. Nature gives us the example.
Anyway, i hope you understand that God making a thunder hit you and not the place it should hit anyway, is against the regulations He prescribed.

dark_d3viant
05-14-2008, 08:49 AM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z100/my_tainted_mind/Christianity.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z100/my_tainted_mind/bible_truths.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z100/my_tainted_mind/jesus-YMCA.jpg

heehee, Lead me not into temptation... I can find the way myself! :skull-evi

xx

tom8517
05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
And the Lord God brought forth beer, and saw that it was good, and he gaveth beer to the man, and said "drink of this beer, and then chaseth the woman around the garden"

:skull-bee

more from the bible according to tom

And the man partook of the beer greatly, and did chase the woman. But she was fleet of foot, and the man was addled by the beer, and his pursuit was in vain. Sorely troubled, the man entreated the Lord God, and God took the vines of the trees and fashioned rope, and gaveth the rope to the man that he might tie the woman, and the man called this bondage, and it was good.

somedude
05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Bondage is definitely god tom:D

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Who the hell are any of you to try to argue matters of the world with me. Oh! wait, yep, words on my computer screen! Yes, with stupid, tasteless pictures to boot. Because I am surrounding by people who would surely get bitch slapped by me if they ever mentioned any of the above. All you would never tell this to me to my face. If none of you fear the Holy one, then fear ME.

Fist of all its none of anyones business how I live my life...and why the hell is everyone hell bent on trying to piss me off?

Secondly, this all started because I tried to help someone with love problems.

3rdly, I dont expect any of you to be right. You are all sick anyways. I will pray for you all....but not for anything good to happen to anyone of you.

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
You know what, sometimes you just have to sit back and realize, wow, I am smarter than alot of people. And I'm talking about me sitting back and saying that.

The bible is not meant to be taken literally. Pendejas chingadas.

haha....maybe you all should really look at your damn selves before trying me.

And my FINAL point. Who does everyone think they are trying to tell ME whats right???????

Sternenlied
05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh dear ... so many sins committed in so few words ...

somedude
05-14-2008, 02:08 PM
In answer to ChiTown:
Who are we argue matters of the world with you...fellow human beings who share the human condition! Fear you...yeah you're just soooooo scary...:rolleyes:
Of course it's not our business how you live you life...but pissing you off seems to be kinda fun;)
And well actually it started because you said that if millions died in an earth quake that was supposed to happen...couldn't let that one go unchallenged by sanity and reason!
You know everyone is right from a certain point of view...generaly their own:D And yes we're sick...perverts and rapists and willing victims and...hey wait you're one of us...:skull-bee

Sternenlied
05-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Pendejas chingadas.

Ah ... rude insults ... always a great way to be taken seriously ...

somedude
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Now it's a plague of ants...Houstonites what did you do...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_re_us/texas_ants

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
In answer to ChiTown:
Who are we argue matters of the world with you...fellow human beings who share the human condition! Fear you...yeah you're just soooooo scary...:rolleyes:
Of course it's not our business how you live you life...but pissing you off seems to be kinda fun;)
And well actually it started because you said that if millions died in an earth quake that was supposed to happen...couldn't let that one go unchallenged by sanity and reason!
You know everyone is right from a certain point of view...generaly their own:D And yes we're sick...perverts and rapists and willing victims and...hey wait you're one of us...:skull-bee

Ok so I decided not to let anyone of you piss me off, because its not worth it to become hostel and take my aggression out on the real world, cause thats why I come here.

Anyhow. You need to realize that you just insulted a majority population, and THATS the real world. I dare you to go into a church in front of a large congregation and say some what you just told me. Or better yet, go to Rome and say it in front of the Vatican, or to the Pope. Call them idiots. However you wont. You will keep typing it to me cause' you know I cant do anything about it.

This is not about your beliefs, but about how you clearly insulted me because of mine.

Peace and God bless

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Ah ... rude insults ... always a great way to be taken seriously ...

Ummmmm....isnt this the Rowdy Room? :confused:

Sternenlied
05-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Ummmmm....isnt this the Rowdy Room?

Don't get me wrong ... I don't mind. Neither do I care.
It wasn't about insulting people on the board, etc. ...
I was making a general comment on rudely insulting people when someone wants to be taken seriously in making a point, that's it.

tom8517
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Now it's a plague of ants...Houstonites what did you do...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_re_us/texas_ants

could have been worse, like a plague of uncles :D

somedude
05-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Ok so I decided not to let anyone of you piss me off, because its not worth it to become hostel and take my aggression out on the real world, cause thats why I come here.

Anyhow. You need to realize that you just insulted a majority population, and THATS the real world. I dare you to go into a church in front of a large congregation and say some what you just told me. Or better yet, go to Rome and say it in front of the Vatican, or to the Pope. Call them idiots. However you wont. You will keep typing it to me cause' you know I cant do anything about it.

This is not about your beliefs, but about how you clearly insulted me because of mine.

Peace and God bless
Actually I never insulted your belief in god...just pointed out how rediculous it is to say that natural disasters are punishment from invisible beings...
As for insulting you...well yeah I did but you know sometimes I'm just not very nice:D
I actually respect the faiths of others though I believe in none of them...but I will call a spade a spade, a fool a fool and debate from opposing viewpoints can be a very good thing!

somedude
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
could have been worse, like a plague of uncles :D
LOL:D

Sternenlied
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Or better yet, go to Rome and say it in front of the Vatican, or to the Pope.

Actually I think the Pope wouldn't terribly mind.
And judging from the books and texts he has written I'm pretty sure he'd debate somedude (as well as almost everyone else) right into the ground. :)
I'm not a believer myself but I seriously respect this man (not necessarily what he stands for but at least his education and intelligence).
However: I think any possible debate between religion (faith) and science is only possible to a certain level but in the end made impossible by the nature of the two.

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Actually I never insulted your belief in god...just pointed out how rediculous it is to say that natural disasters are punishment from invisible beings...
As for insulting you...well yeah I did but you know sometimes I'm just not very nice:D
I actually respect the faiths of others though I believe in none of them...but I will call a spade a spade, a fool a fool and debate from opposing viewpoints can be a very good thing!

I think the actual purpose of your posting that people who had certain beliefs were idiots was just out of disrespect for me, as you respect others who have those beliefs. I said nothing to disrespect you, but you came out and called me an idiot, so I reacted appropriately.

I'm sure you also think I am an idiot because I dont believe in birth control or any of that stuff, but those are my beliefs and nobody ever has dared to defy them or me. In fact, everyone who I talked to who doesnt believe in God, respect me and respect my beliefs and even see my point of view.

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Don't get me wrong ... I don't mind. Neither do I care.
It wasn't about insulting people on the board, etc. ...
I was making a general comment on rudely insulting people when someone wants to be taken seriously in making a point, that's it.

When people insult me first, or insult my beliefs and somedude CLEARLY did, I act accordingly. I am not one to let things slide because I use my mouth (or words) to attack people when I get upset and I did. Its one thing to attack me, but dont attack my beliefs.

SecretObsession
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
However: I think any possible debate between religion (faith) and science is only possible to a certain level but in the end made impossible by the nature of the two.

Yes! that's what I was trying to say :p (You put it so eliquently, Stern :) ) And also I think that particularly for scientific minded people it can be very difficult to keep the faith. A personal struggle between logic and hope

Sternenlied
05-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Its one thing to attack me, but dont attack my beliefs.

Like I said: I don't mind.
If that's your way I'm fine with that ... you didn't insult me, so I am not in this.

The distinction between the person and this person's beliefs usually gets lost in discussions like this, that's the reason I don't participate in subjects concerning faith, religion and personal beliefs.

I am quite fine with your point (about not attacking your beliefs). Maybe you could just try giving people a little leeway.

somedude
05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I think the actual purpose of your posting that people who had certain beliefs were idiots was just out of disrespect for me, as you respect others who have those beliefs. I said nothing to disrespect you, but you came out and called me an idiot, so I reacted appropriately.

I'm sure you also think I am an idiot because I dont believe in birth control or any of that stuff, but those are my beliefs and nobody ever has dared to defy them or me. In fact, everyone who I talked to who doesnt believe in God, respect me and respect my beliefs and even see my point of view.
I can see your point of view...I can also see how silly it is;) And you said god should bitchslap me before I mentioned idiots...and in fact I said that people who believed god controlled the weather were idiots...but if you fit that definition...:D

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I can see your point of view...I can also see how silly it is;) And you said god should bitchslap me before I mentioned idiots...and in fact I said that people who believed god controlled the weather were idiots...but if you fit that definition...:D

What is so silly about my point of view?

And yes I did say that I hope God bitchslaps you, but you said something to the affect of "reasonable people dont believe this" so I in turn said something equally tasteless.

Yes, I do believe that when a catastrophic event happens its because of the actions of humans. I fit that definition. However, there is no bases or reason for you to call me an idiot or people who believe that idiots.

somedude
05-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Two reasons I can...science and reason...:D

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Two reasons I can...science and reason...:D

Ok, why dont you use your science and reason to explain it to me.

somedude
05-14-2008, 06:55 PM
There was this sociohistorical event called the enlightment...men of education and reason many of whom believed in god began to doubt that natural events such as earth quakes were divinely caused. After an earthquake destroyed Lisbon on sunday during high mass in the 1700s more and more people began to think that perhaps god didn't smite people with disasters because they had done wrong. Wise minds began to consider that natural forces cause such things as earthquakes and great storms.
Much study and research was done and as thing like fault lines and weather patterns were discovered it was shown that indeed natural forces do cause natural disasters. Science combined with reason enlightened mankind so that instead of clinging to superstition even those who believed in the devine could truly understand their world around them.
God may or may not exist...but most people who believe in god do not believe god causes natural disasters! Did that help at all?

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
No now you dont make any sense at all. I KNOW that earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics. Thats why there are so many earthquakes on certain sides of the world. I know that they shift and thats what causes earthquakes. I know that tsunami's are caused by mostly by earthquakes, which are caused by the shift of tectonic plates.

Thats how the universe works. But that DOESNT disprove anything. Of course the Lord is not going to snap his fingers and make disasters happen without any cause. Thats not how the universe that HE created is going to work. He created the universe and it works at HIS will. Nobody can deny how it works. You can quote science all you want, why things happen, but you will never know the true causality of any of it. You cant explain the universe, your mind is not able to comprehend its workings.

I happen to believe that science and God go very well together. Afterall, its HIS universe and everything works at HIS will, everything you described.

JohnnyReb
05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
God, if he exists, doesn't cause earthquakes to happen and if you believe he does, then you're an idiot.

Not only would I say that to you here, I'd say it to your face and if I were to ever have this discussion with the pope, then I'd tell him the same thing.

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 11:06 PM
God, if he exists, doesn't cause earthquakes to happen and if you believe he does, then you're an idiot.

Not only would I say that to you here, I'd say it to your face and if I were to ever have this discussion with the pope, then I'd tell him the same thing.

Ok, I may not know you, but to say that kinda shit to me....Oh you would never say that to my face. and you could never get close enough to the Pope to tell him that.

JohnnyReb
05-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh you would never say that to my face I would beat you so hard like the bitch that you are and I wouldnt even close my fist. Wouldnt that be embarassing.

No, what's embarrassing is keyboard heroes who sit behind their computers and make idle threats to people they don't even fucking know.

For all you know, I could be a little old lady in a wheelchair, or I could be Samuel Peter, who I'm quite certain could take your head off, without breaking a sweat.

JohnnyReb
05-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I didn't see the comment about the Pope that you edited in, until after I made my last post.

No, I don't expect that I will ever meet the Pope, but if I did, I'd be quite happy to tell him that I'm an agnostic who not only believes in science, logic and reason, but believes that god didn't create man, man created god.

I'd also tell him that books by people such as Carl Sagan, make far more sense to me than the Bible does.

ChiTownHoney
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Yeah, you're right I am just typing bullshit, like you typed some bullshit before that post, and you dont know me and you are typing stupid shit, so go away.

I dont care about what you think or who the hell you are, So stop talking to me.

somedude
05-15-2008, 02:26 AM
No now you dont make any sense at all. I KNOW that earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics. Thats why there are so many earthquakes on certain sides of the world. I know that they shift and thats what causes earthquakes. I know that tsunami's are caused by mostly by earthquakes, which are caused by the shift of tectonic plates.

Thats how the universe works. But that DOESNT disprove anything. Of course the Lord is not going to snap his fingers and make disasters happen without any cause. Thats not how the universe that HE created is going to work. He created the universe and it works at HIS will. Nobody can deny how it works. You can quote science all you want, why things happen, but you will never know the true causality of any of it. You cant explain the universe, your mind is not able to comprehend its workings.

I happen to believe that science and God go very well together. Afterall, its HIS universe and everything works at HIS will, everything you described.
You can lead a horse to water...

JohnnyReb
05-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Yeah, you're right I am just typing bullshit, like you typed some bullshit before that post, and you dont know me and you are typing stupid shit, so go away.

I dont care about what you think or who the hell you are, So stop talking to me.

Actually, I don't ever "type bullshit," but it's nice to see you admitting that you do.

As for, "stopping talking to you." I'm not "talking" to you. I'm posting on a public forum and I have just as much of a right to do that as you do.

ego
05-15-2008, 07:48 AM
...just pointed out how rediculous it is to say that natural disasters are punishment from invisible beings...

:eek: A! You mean they're not ??? :confused:

:D :D

touriquet2001
05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Actually, I don't ever "type bullshit," but it's nice to see you admitting that you do.

we all do , none of us are immune from it . :D

one man's bullshit is another man's fertilizer ... :skull-bee

ego
05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Nobody can deny how it works. You can quote science all you want, why things happen, but you will never know the true causality of any of it. You cant explain the universe, your mind is not able to comprehend its workings.

Truth is that science and orthodox faith tend to agree that the true causality Chi refers to is beyond comprehension. In regard to the universe, science knows it "follows" a few simple rules; anything else is concomitant events.
About the true causality, the why it follows those rules and not some others, science cant help. Its built on axioms. After all, science deals with this world and that "why" is of another. ;)

However, science can explain exactly why that earthquake happened on the specific point. And it has nothing to do with the sinners of the place! :D

Depends on the mind the "mix" will take place. I guess a religious scientist would easily accept that he's just "exploring" the Creation.

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
CHITOWN !!! god told me that he wants you to get ur tits out !! dont worry i did ask him if that was wise but he absolutely insisted !! :) :)

somedude
05-15-2008, 03:36 PM
So god speaks to you about women's tits Maddog...amazing:D

ego
05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
CHITOWN !!! god told me...

No, no, no. There must be a problem here. When you talk to god, this is praying. When He talks to you, this is paranoia!

You have to check it out! :D

ChiTownHoney
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
CHITOWN !!! god told me that he wants you to get ur tits out !! dont worry i did ask him if that was wise but he absolutely insisted !! :) :)

This is quite sadly the best post in this thread.

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
So god speaks to you about women's tits Maddog...amazing:D

well not quite directly !! mainly we comminicate through beer ! :D :D

somedude
05-16-2008, 02:03 AM
Ah, well according to our own apostle tom beer is a gift from god...:D

Sternenlied
05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Ah, well according to our own apostle tom beer is a gift from god...

Well, although beer wasn't "invented" in Germany, over here the first breweries for beer were handled by monks in monasteries, so in a way ... ;)

ego
05-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Well, although beer wasn't "invented" in Germany, over here the first breweries for beer were handled by monks in monasteries...

There was this sociohistorical event called the enlightment...

Hmm...
Do these two quotes refer to the same thing? :D :D

Sternenlied
05-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately not.
Those early breweries "opened" in the Middle-Ages, so a lot of people had to die first ...
But eventually alcohol led to people loosen up and thus finally ending the era of slaughtering people for misguided, fanatic reasons. After all we're all aware of the seriously abstinent people being the most cramped and - especially when it comes to religious devotion - dangerous ones. :)

ego
05-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Ah, you're -as always- right. :)
Someone drunk by religion is more dangerous than someone drunk with beer.
Not to mention that beer will have you sobber the next day! ;)

dark_d3viant
05-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Ok, I may not know you, but to say that kinda shit to me....Oh you would never say that to my face. and you could never get close enough to the Pope to tell him that.

Hmm, that reminds me.. Must remember to lunge wildly at the pope next time I'm near the vatican. :skull-big

xx

tom8517
05-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, although beer wasn't "invented" in Germany, over here the first breweries for beer were handled by monks in monasteries, so in a way ... ;)

some of the worlds best beer is still brewed in monastaries, Belgian Chimay is one of my favorites.

http://www.chimay.com/

Brewing good beer keeps the monks busy, and it's a far better use of their time than telling people all the reasons they are going to hell, or getting urges to burn someone at the stake.

"You've nothing to fear from monks who brew beer" :D

somedude
05-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Bored womenless monks=really good beer:D

Sternenlied
05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Must remember to lunge wildly at the pope next time I'm near the vatican.

... children ... :rolleyes:

somedude
05-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Well lunging wildly at the Pope could produce an amusing video as Papal Security jumped on her...

JohnnyReb
05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I am the only one who thinks it's strange that the Pope tells us that everything that happens in the world, is just all part of God's plan, while at the same time, he has armed bodyguards and rides around in a bullet proof car? :confused:

Sternenlied
05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, although anyone "lunging" at the Pope being brought down by the Swiss Guard would certainly by a hilarious incident to watch - as would that person slamming against the Popemobil like in a Cartoon - I was referring to something else.
I am just very amused by all those people going somewhat like "Yeah, if I'd met that fuckin' Pope I'd tell 'im to suck my dick, that old old wanker!" ... and all those comments.
I bet all those people would most probably just freeze in the presence of that man, shrinking like a certain male organ in cold water.
Like him or not, believe of not ... that man is the head of a religion with more than 1.000.000.000 believers, he is considered to be God's representative on earth, ex cathedra (unfallible, in that context), he is the one to interpret the Bible for all those people, etc. ... I am rather sure he'd simply not care for people like that ... :)

Sternenlied
05-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I am the only one who thinks it's strange that the Pope tells us that everything that happens in the world, is just all part of God's plan, while at the same time, he has armed bodyguards and rides around in a bullet proof car?

Why is that supposedly strange?
Just because he doesn't want to be killed by a lunatic?
By the way - the Catholic Church doesn't necessarily consider everything to be God's plan. God is all-knowing and omnipotent by their doctrine but not inevitably making up a plan for everyone ...
Applying that logic the Church wouldn't have to apply any rules or regulations (let alone commandments) since everything is God's plan and nobody is responsible for his/her actions.

somedude
05-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Well, although anyone "lunging" at the Pope being brought down by the Swiss Guard would certainly by a hilarious incident to watch - as would that person slamming against the Popemobil like in a Cartoon - I was referring to something else.
I am just very amused by all those people going somewhat like "Yeah, if I'd met that fuckin' Pope I'd tell 'im to suck my dick, that old old wanker!" ... and all those comments.
I bet all those people would most probably just freeze in the presence of that man, shrinking like a certain male organ in cold water.
Like him or not, believe of not ... that man is the head of a religion with more than 1.000.000.000 believers, he is considered to be God's representative on earth, ex cathedra (unfallible, in that context), he is the one to interpret the Bible for all those people, etc. ... I am rather sure he'd simply not care for people like that ... :)
True Stern...very few people in this world ever live up to their statements of hypothetically what they'd do...bodyguards are there to deal with the ones who actually do...:D

somedude
05-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I am the only one who thinks it's strange that the Pope tells us that everything that happens in the world, is just all part of God's plan, while at the same time, he has armed bodyguards and rides around in a bullet proof car? :confused:
There's an old Catholic saying...god helps those who help themselves..

JohnnyReb
05-16-2008, 07:02 PM
My point is, there's at least one person here who's making the argument that bad things happen because God wants them to as punishment for our wickedness.

If you say that 50,000 people dying in an earthquake is an act of God, then it's not a huge leap of "logic" to say that if some lunatic shoots the Pope, then that to is just all part of God's plan and so, that when the Pope gets in the Popemobile, he's actually trying to subvert the will of God.

For what it's worth, I realize that Catholic doctrine isn't necessarily that God is behind everything, but that is the argument being made by the person who thinks God causes Earthquakes.

If I met the Pope, I would not tell him he's an old wanker who can suck my dick. But, at the same time, I wouldn't exactly be awe struck other.

When I think that the guy with the pointed hat, is the infallible intermediary between the invisible man in the sky and a billion people who believe some fantasy out of a book that was written 2,000 years ago, my reaction is not one of awe....

Sternenlied
05-16-2008, 07:44 PM
My point is, there's at least one person here who's making the argument that bad things happen because God wants them to as punishment for our wickedness.

No argument there.
I think it's safe to assume we're all well aware of ... well ... slight contradictions among believers everywhere, Catholocism is no exception.
In the end everybody has their own beliefs. I even know a Catholic priest who is pro choice ...

If you say that 50,000 people dying in an earthquake is an act of God, then it's not a huge leap of "logic" to say that if some lunatic shoots the Pope, then that to is just all part of God's plan and so, that when the Pope gets in the Popemobile, he's actually trying to subvert the will of God.

In that person's opinion eventually.
I just think the Pope might disagree ... :)

If I met the Pope, I would not tell him he's an old wanker who can suck my dick. But, at the same time, I wouldn't exactly be awe struck other.

I didn't say anyone would be.
As I already stated I don't respect the Pope for what he is/stands for but for the high intellect he undoubtedly has.
And I suppose we both know I wasn't referring to you. ;)

When I think that the guy with the pointed hat, is the infallible intermediary between the invisible man in the sky and a billion people who believe some fantasy out of a book that was written 2,000 years ago, my reaction is not one of awe....

And - just as everyone else here is - you're inclined to your opinion about that.
Being an agnostic however you should know that's it's neither about stonewalling any opinion about a possible existence of a devine entity nor is it about smiling at people who actually do believe in any form of a God. It is about accepting that a debate about a God is impractical, if not plain unnecessary.
Being a scientist even I have to admit to the fact there is no proving as well as disproving the existence of such a being right now.
I guess we all just have to accept this entire subject for what it is - faith. Even to people who believe there is no God there is only that ... belief.

In general I think we can all agree that there is no religion that can answer all questions without taking a few "shortcuts" through the forests of contradiction, around the lands of logic and reason. Of course that's another reason why I am convinced a sound discussion between science and religion is essentially impossible ... in the end every pointed out conflicting statement in religious doctrine can be countered by the believer in stating "Because God made it that way" ... which is essentially Religious for "D'uh!" ... :)

Just let people believe what they want to believe.

ChiTownHoney
05-17-2008, 01:09 AM
You can lead a horse to water...

Ok so what is your point in that sentence? I explained my point to you and you come up with a sentence that does not make any sense. This is all that I believe that I stated above. You cannot DISPROVE my point. Like you say you cannot prove or disprove the existence of the devine, its depends on my faith alone and you or anyone else calling me an idiot is not going to alter it at all.

Like I explained before, our minds cannot comprehend the universe or the purpose behind it. All the logic and science in the world is just dabbling, humans do not carry the capacity to fully comprehend the universe or its workings and thats why people have faith. You make it seem as if I believe a man in the sky is waving a wand making tsunamis, then you are wrong, and I explained why, however you chose not to read it. If you would have started a normal discussion with me in the first place I would have explained it to you.

ChiTownHoney
05-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Hmm, that reminds me.. Must remember to lunge wildly at the pope next time I'm near the vatican. :skull-big

xx

Wow you must really feel some passion for him then.

dark_d3viant
05-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Wow you must really feel some passion for him then.

Honestly, you people take life too seriously. I was referring to good old Bill Bailey... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdhO49BnfRg :skull-big

I personally don't give a fuck about the pope. What does he do again? Probably much the same as the Queen..:rolleyes:

xx

somedude
05-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok so what is your point in that sentence? I explained my point to you and you come up with a sentence that does not make any sense. This is all that I believe that I stated above. You cannot DISPROVE my point. Like you say you cannot prove or disprove the existence of the devine, its depends on my faith alone and you or anyone else calling me an idiot is not going to alter it at all.

Like I explained before, our minds cannot comprehend the universe or the purpose behind it. All the logic and science in the world is just dabbling, humans do not carry the capacity to fully comprehend the universe or its workings and thats why people have faith. You make it seem as if I believe a man in the sky is waving a wand making tsunamis, then you are wrong, and I explained why, however you chose not to read it. If you would have started a normal discussion with me in the first place I would have explained it to you.
My fundamental point is that natural disasters are simple happenings of nature caused by natural forces without being devine punishment. You have insisted repeatedly that natural disasters are devine punishment! So by your way of thinking the poor hapless people of Myanmar had that cyclone coming and the Chinese deserved their recent earthquake. That's in the same category as Jerry Faldwell saying the US had September 11th coming because we had homosexuals, sinners etc...
People rarely deserve the bad things that happen to them...life is unfair and I for one take comfort in that fact because if everyone deserved the horrible things that happen to them that'd be a really scary thought!

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-17-2008, 12:59 PM
I do believe that a lot of shit happens/is gonna happen due to the damage that humans do to the planet.

Iv watched that al gore shit and if the icecaps melt we are gonna be well fucked !

somedude
05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
And what you just mentioned there are natural forces!

Now has god through beer told you anything new and interesting?:D

tom8517
05-17-2008, 03:48 PM
I do believe that a lot of shit happens/is gonna happen due to the damage that humans do to the planet.

Iv watched that al gore shit and if the icecaps melt we are gonna be well fucked !

Al Gore is the antichrist, I know, God told me. He will talk to you with beer, but He needs tequila to tell you the really serious stuff.

somedude
05-17-2008, 04:27 PM
So it's god when you're drinking tequila...must be the devil you hear when drinking Scotch:D

FinalKey
05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
how'd i miss this thread...

tom8517
05-17-2008, 08:35 PM
how'd i miss this thread...

well either you're a godless fuckin' heahten, or else you've no taste for fine spirits, either way, the golden rule says we forgive you and welcome you in.

dashrendar44
05-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Why is that supposedly strange?
Just because he doesn't want to be killed by a lunatic?
By the way - the Catholic Church doesn't necessarily consider everything to be God's plan. God is all-knowing and omnipotent by their doctrine but not inevitably making up a plan for everyone ...
Applying that logic the Church wouldn't have to apply any rules or regulations (let alone commandments) since everything is God's plan and nobody is responsible for his/her actions.

sterny, its good you bring this up, because its what i use to fundamentally disprove catholicism. god created the divine plan, then created the universe to put it in action. but then he creates man, and seemingly on a whim gives them all free will. well then whats the point of the divine plan, and by proxy the universe, if hes just gong to create people that are outside its influence, and therefore defeat the purpose of the universe? either A) we DONT have free will, which we all know to be false, or B) there is no divine plan. no divine plan=no reason to create the universe=no god. simple as that, and if you say it to any catholic priest, i promise youll get shock, awe and no rebuttal :p

ego
05-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Like him or not, believe of not ... that man is the head of a religion with more than 1.000.000.000 believers, he is considered to be God's representative on earth, ex cathedra (unfallible, in that context), he is the one to interpret the Bible for all those people, etc. ...

So, is it the man or the status what you admire?

Personally, i would ask him to clarify the sentence in bold before i could seriously talk with him. If he believes it ... i guess i could only listen... ;)

If you say that 50,000 people dying in an earthquake is an act of God, then it's not a huge leap of "logic" to say ......
Actually the first part is enough to contradict with "official" faith. God is good and he does everything in goodness.

As a scientist would say, God is an adiabatic system; the initial an final points are given, regardless the process bettwen. What happens between is not of any importance. ;)

and a billion people who believe some fantasy out of a book that was written 2,000 years ago, my reaction is not one of awe....

The story is much older... and you know? we dont have many old scripts dealing with those subjects... the few we have tend to agree on some things..

In general I think we can all agree that there is no religion that can answer all questions without taking a few "shortcuts" through the forests of contradiction, around the lands of logic and reason.
Of course that's another reason why I am convinced a sound discussion between science and religion is essentially impossible ... in the end every pointed out conflicting statement in religious doctrine can be countered by the believer in stating "Because God made it that way" ... which is essentially Religious for "D'uh!" ... :)

I believe relegion (theology) could answer many questions to someone who's willing to accept them and doesnt consider anything as given.
Scientists are not that much interested about the "why", its the "how" they're after. How its made, how it works, thats job of a scientist; why its made is job for a bishop.

god created the divine plan, then created the universe to put it in action. but then he creates man, and seemingly on a whim gives them all free will. well then whats the point of the divine plan, and by proxy the universe, if hes just gong to create people that are outside its influence, and therefore defeat the purpose of the universe? either A) we DONT have free will, which we all know to be false, or B) there is no divine plan. no divine plan=no reason to create the universe=no god. simple as that, and if you say it to any catholic priest, i promise youll get shock, awe and no rebuttal :p

I think this is what happens when you dont pay attention on the details. Of the things He created, man is the one that evolves. Typically, this should be enough answer, but:
Free will exists due to fairness. He made it (the whole thing) to be fair. There is no point speaking about a plan. He's beyond time. You cant know the purpose of the universe. Its to big for your brains. Its like a bacillus wondering about the intentions of the biologist when she appoaches the rat with a syringe.

FinalKey
05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
well either you're a godless fuckin' heahten

:skull-thu any ladies want to convert this heathen? ;)

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Now has god through beer told you anything new and interesting?:D

OH YEAH !! Last night he was spraying lightening bolts everywhere !! he has told me to convey his anger that Chitown still hasnt got her tits out !! :skull-big :skull-big - so cmon Chitown...

in the name of the lord.... :D

somedude
05-20-2008, 12:13 AM
So kinda like in the Blues Brothers...you're on a mission from god to see ChiTown's tits:D

sindyloo
05-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Hmm?? Well that might take a act of "GOD" or a lot of Skyy vodka forthat to happen? Come on Chi dear give the guys a treat!??:skull-tea :skull-tea

Wow lot of good stuff here...and where to start? Oh lets start with free will..yes we o have Free Will why do you think we are soo fucked up? If GOD was still controlling us this would still be EDEN!;)

Long ago just after the big bang(which was causd by GOD sneezing....bless him! He createda loey planet filled with all kinds of pretty things and wonderful peace full loving creatures that co-existed wih each other in peace!

Then GOD.....FUCKED UP.....he created man and it has been down hill every since then. He gave us 10 simple rules to ive by but...NOOOOOo?? Man had to take those and improve on what GOD gave us. Like we know better than GOD??? Dont THINK sooooooo!:o

The Pope....Holy Father amongst us??? Yea RIGHT wonder how many altar Boys he did??:skull-thr Why is mankind always stupid enough to worship some mortal man living with us and who in a short time will die?
Anyone re-call Ceaser, Adolf Hitler, Jim Jones....etc etc??

Now as far a natural disasters go IF...God was behind all storms etc then I bet you there would be a HELL of a lot more Dead people around then there currently is. Hey all you SINNERS???(yes me too!) he has his hand on the flush handle ready to clean his Earth again.

SO........REPENT you VILE sinners before it is too Late or Hold your breath for a long damn Time!!:) :D

FinalKey
05-21-2008, 12:40 AM
sindy...convert me. seriously, i wanna be saved! *holds his box of condoms and crate of ky jelly in his arms.* I'll be happy to come your way so we can um go over some scriptures or something.

somedude
05-21-2008, 02:20 AM
You know I repented once...but then I got better:D

dark_d3viant
05-21-2008, 09:33 AM
You know I repented once...but then I got better:D

If it involves hot nuns and candles, where do I sign up? :D

xx

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-21-2008, 07:50 PM
So kinda like in the Blues Brothers...you're on a mission from god to see ChiTown's tits:D

why yes indeed...it is written !!

CHI TOWN GET UR TITS OUT
CHI TOWN GET UR TITS OUT
LA LA LA LA-LA
LA LA LA LA-LA

verse II chapter 3 - Gospel of the Breast.:D

sindyloo
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Yes indeed Maddog really with you on that one! Come on CHI get em out if you got the balls?:skull-tea :skull-big :skull-big

So cum one all you nasty sinners out there we need a big laying on of hands to save you all....hands groping and umm other bodily things to cleanse our naughty sins.....So all sinners CUM unto me or eeee on me??:p :D

Oh and for our Maddog...as soon as he was cleaned up and layig in his Moms` arms...I bet he looked up at her and said...."Nice TITS!!":D :D kidding dear okay?:skull-lov

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Haha I Agree !!!!!

Me Mucho Sucko Baby Lmao !!

dashrendar44
05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I think this is what happens when you dont pay attention on the details. Of the things He created, man is the one that evolves. Typically, this should be enough answer, but:
Free will exists due to fairness. He made it (the whole thing) to be fair. There is no point speaking about a plan. He's beyond time. You cant know the purpose of the universe. Its to big for your brains. Its like a bacillus wondering about the intentions of the biologist when she appoaches the rat with a syringe.

thats not so much the case...additionally, another thing along the same lines...why are christians encouraged to pray to god to make what they want to have happen occur? why should god change his plan just because one insignificant human asks him to? isnt that a little egotistical of humans? like saying "dear god, i wanna pass this test. its not in your plan, but im me, so therefore my needs are greater than your ultimate master plan that makes everything there is, ever was, and ever will be go." either god likes changing his perfect plan millions of times daily every day for thousands of years (obviously its imperfect by now, and therefore there is no reason for the universe to exist) or he simply cant answer prayers. but if he cant answer prayers, why are we told to pray? thats like saying "put food in the oven but dont turn it on, then come back in an hour and hope its cooked"

touriquet2001
05-26-2008, 10:40 AM
if there is a god this guy is so gonna get it !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYfDlIa-Z8

ego
05-26-2008, 07:41 PM
why are christians encouraged to pray to god to make what they want to have happen occur? why should god change his plan just because one insignificant human asks him to? isnt that a little egotistical of humans?

Not exactly. They are encouraged to mention Him.
About praying, Christ was clear: Ask and you shall receive. Nobody takes if he does not ask. You're not "forced" to ask, neither to want something from Him. But if you want, you have to ask. Personally, i like the thought that He likes (if He exists) people who dont ask things unless they really cant do else. Havent you notice that desperates are His favorites? ;)

Now, about the plan: It cant change. It has already happen. Remember, we are bound with time; He is not!
What is egotistical, is to believe that details of one's daily life are capable to change the plan. I explained in the previous page, i guess you havent read it:

As a scientist would say, God is an adiabatic system; the initial and final points are given, regardless the process bettwen. What happens between is not of any importance.

Imagine Him like He was Dom Perignion. And He decides to put vineyards in all Canada. What are you? A tiny round grape. Lets say that an ant attacks you. You get eaten.
Would that made Dom Perignion change their plans about producing champagne in Canada? ;)

Besides, prays are filtered. He's not listenning directly to us, angels do this job. They listen and transfer and take power from Him to do what has to be done. I guess a pray to pass the test would never make it up to Him....

And to save the question for you: The reason He lets evil people be without punishing them: They are His children as well. He loves them as much as He loves good people, although they hurt Him. Like Dom Perignion, they take care of all the vineyard; only when its harvest time they will separate the usefull parts from the waste.
As far as i know, holy books speak about "separating the tare from the wheat".

dashrendar44
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
ego, i used the word encouraged, i never said forced, so thats your own invention. furthermore, you agreed with me yet tried to make it seem like you were argueing and avoided the point i made. you agree his plan is unchangeable but if it is, why are humans encouraged to pry for it to change? it defeats the purpose of the plan. either there is no plan (which is a heretical thought for catholics) or there is no point in praying, but because they are encouraged to pray, that makes no sense either...which is it ego? it has to be one of them :p

also, i dont like the idea of an angel listening to a prayer. thats between the person praying and god, nowhere in the prayer does it go from "dear god" to "dear god and the angel thats wire tapping my prayers" if god truely cared about his job as a god, hed listen to them all individually, after all, hes "outside of time" like you said, right ego?

ego
05-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, i know you used "encouraged". I used "forced" (with"") trying to make a step further. Now about the plan. I already explain twice, maybe i cant make it clear, i'm sorry, i'm doing my best.
No, its not one of them. There is a third option: Humans pray to change THEIR life, not to change the plan. The plan is much bigger than a man's life, or than a trillion men's lifes. The initial point of the plan, as much as the final point are given. It cant change. Your life is somewhere in the middle. No matter how much you'll pray, no matter if your pray will be listened and/or fulfilled, it cant affect the plan. We actually dont know what the plan is, how could we ask for it to change?
I dont know why you associate praying with the plan, nowhere in the scripts or in the Christian "fathers" of church explanations says that they affect each other. So, you've made no point at all, just a misunderstanding.

Well, you like it or not, thats how it works. God himself is not messing with us, He created angels for that. Angel in greek means that exactly, a messenger. Him who announces. Enoch says that no man can have direct contact with Him, not even angels can, only the high ranked of them can.
And yes, a pray should be "dear god". You refer to Him, not to the angels. Like in a letter, you say "dear Ms Smith" but you give it to the post office.
And after all, He did things to let you know what His will is. He's not gonna beg you! He is God, He speaks, not listen. And according to the scripts, we all gonna have our time to talk with Him. After the 2nd appearence there will be His "assessment", with each one of us individually. There is a greek word that describes that, "συνεξήγηση", but i'm afraid its not translatable. The first part means "together, something you do with someone else" and the second part means "explanation".

dashrendar44
05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Well, i know you used "encouraged". I used "forced" (with"") trying to make a step further. Now about the plan. I already explain twice, maybe i cant make it clear, i'm sorry, i'm doing my best.
No, its not one of them. There is a third option: Humans pray to change THEIR life, not to change the plan. The plan is much bigger than a man's life, or than a trillion men's lifes. The initial point of the plan, as much as the final point are given. It cant change. Your life is somewhere in the middle. No matter how much you'll pray, no matter if your pray will be listened and/or fulfilled, it cant affect the plan. We actually dont know what the plan is, how could we ask for it to change?
I dont know why you associate praying with the plan, nowhere in the scripts or in the Christian "fathers" of church explanations says that they affect each other. So, you've made no point at all, just a misunderstanding.

Well, you like it or not, thats how it works. God himself is not messing with us, He created angels for that. Angel in greek means that exactly, a messenger. Him who announces. Enoch says that no man can have direct contact with Him, not even angels can, only the high ranked of them can.
And yes, a pray should be "dear god". You refer to Him, not to the angels. Like in a letter, you say "dear Ms Smith" but you give it to the post office.
And after all, He did things to let you know what His will is. He's not gonna beg you! He is God, He speaks, not listen. And according to the scripts, we all gonna have our time to talk with Him. After the 2nd appearence there will be His "assessment", with each one of us individually. There is a greek word that describes that, "συνεξήγηση", but i'm afraid its not translatable. The first part means "together, something you do with someone else" and the second part means "explanation".

k, first quickly bout the letter thing, yeah sure, i give it to the post office, but they DONT READ IT, thats the point im saying, if every human matters to god and jesus, and were all important, why cant the lazy old bastard individually listen to us? what the hell else is he doing? sitting on his cosmic couch watching rape porn? i think trillions of prayers are more important (though only a little :p)

and no, im not misunderstanding the idea of the plan, im simply using simple logic that its very founder aristotle would be proud of. A=B=C. the plan dictates EVERYTHING that happens in the universe (yes, in catholocism it says this, not sure about orthodoxy though), humans pray for change in their lives (a human life is an event that happens in the universe), therefore, humans pray for change in the plan. i know religion is allergic to logic, but this is just simply an oversite by the crazy ancient bastard that cranked out that piece of shit called the bible. sure, its a fancy book, lots of murder and demons and shit, but what does it really amount to? ancient harry potter:theyre both long, dumb, 10 year olds believe its all real, and someone, somewhere is laughing their ass off at that fact while counting up their now infinite fortunes.

touriquet2001
05-28-2008, 04:59 AM
the plan dictates EVERYTHING that happens in the universe (yes, in catholocism it says this, not sure about orthodoxy though), humans pray for change in their lives (a human life is an event that happens in the universe), therefore, humans pray for change in the plan.

not a fan of religion , but just to throw a wrench into the works .....

why can't the plan say they pray for the change ? :skull-thu :skull-thu

ego
05-28-2008, 08:26 AM
if every human matters to god and jesus, and were all important, why cant the lazy old bastard individually listen to us? what the hell else is he doing? sitting on his cosmic couch watching rape porn? i think trillions of prayers are more important (though only a little :p)
I honestly dont know. All i know is that He never acts on his own. He sends angels, or those others...

and no, im not misunderstanding the idea of the plan, im simply using simple logic that its very founder aristotle would be proud of. A=B=C. the plan dictates EVERYTHING that happens in the universe (yes, in catholocism it says this, not sure about orthodoxy though), humans pray for change in their lives (a human life is an event that happens in the universe), therefore, humans pray for change in the plan.
Well, i'm not very familiar with catholicism, what i know is that men are left to evolve and reach to a point that they're able to fulfill the plan. Its a plan about humanity, not each human individually. Both orthodoxy and Plato say that nothing happens against His will, but they dont say that there is a plan including the people's life on earth.
What i have understood (its a rather ticklish subject, so that is only a personal conclusion on the things i've read) is they meant that a man's life on earth is something like a test about if he's evolved enough to contribute in the plan's accomplishment.
You really cant see how a person's life cant change anything on a billion years plan?

i know religion is allergic to logic, but this is just simply an oversite by the crazy ancient bastard that cranked out that piece of shit called the bible. sure, its a fancy book, lots of murder and demons and shit, but what does it really amount to? ancient harry potter:theyre both long, dumb, 10 year olds believe its all real, and someone, somewhere is laughing their ass off at that fact while counting up their now infinite fortunes.
Not at all. Actually, if you accept 2-3 principles, all the rest make perfect sence. In ancient greece and egypt, it was philoshophers who dealt with religion (yes, i'm talking about monotheism religion) and explained many things using logic and reason. Bible is not the only book that narrates that story; its just the most known one. And the similarities are many, so calling it fancy brings you upon some great minds like the one you claim would be proud about you. ;)
I dont know if its real or not. But you know? we dont have many things written about that era. The few we have, say the same things, at least about the basic idea. Details may be different, but i dont think that slaughtering a sheep with a vertical cut or a horizontal one makes any difference. Each culture have add their details, their "sauce" on the same dish.
And we have no script that says that is a fantasy.
My interest on the subject is of historical nature and not religious one; and although scripts are not a proof, they're at least an evidence; so, either something really happened back then, or the whole world had a group delusion and wrote similar things with different words.

And dont forget: Bible (or better, OT) is a really "tortured" book. It have been "raped" through centouries and the content has been altered at least two times. Still, its a unique source of informations.

If you really want to have a go at Catholicism, you should collect your thoughts on the specific religion, not on theology generally; theology and religion are soooo different!
On that, i'm with you: i just cant take seriously things said by people who burnt witches, sold contracts of sins' forgiveness and sponsored expansionist wars (all to the name of God! ); its obvious, their purpose was not to reveal any thruth.

ego
05-28-2008, 09:30 AM
and no, im not misunderstanding the idea of the plan, im simply using simple logic that its very founder aristotle would be proud of.

That brings in mind a "paradox" that happens often. We found things written by several people many years ago. We managed to understand some of them, we saw them applying in our time as well, we explained them and considered the authors "great minds", founders of modern sciences, we admire them for putting the corner-stone on modern way of thinking.
There are things they said however that we couldnt explain. We followed the easy solution: we denominate those things "creative fantasy" and ignored them.
Not a single (and simple) thought that we may lack some knowledge they had!
Aristotle dealt with many things, one of them was the human body. He agreed with Herodotes, we belong to the "Iron breed" and thus we "rust" (what a coincidence, very modern medicine says that oxidation is the main reason of deseases). We were once the "Golden breed", with divine parentage, but we fell ( just a moment .... that reminds of the Bible??!! ); first to the "Silver", then to the "Copper" breed and although the "breed of Heroes" have intervened, the fall to what we are nowadays was inevitable. The body however kept the basic structure (at this point, i wonder why we have that much of a brain if we use only a small percentage), although it lost the abilities.
Pretty much, he claimed we are god-bred. Inactive sons of God!

What a modern man would say about that? Most probably, that Aristotle was drinking to much wine. That he had a big fantasy. And here is the paradox i said in the beginning: the same man is founder of logic and a fanciful wino at the same time!! ??

Sorry, i'll pass.
You are free to believe that you come from Lucy; i will take my divine parentage and pass. :)

ego
05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s a question of the existence of a God or which religion you choose, or whether or not we pray.
If what ever we choose to do helps us grow in a positive way, helps us feel good about ourselves, and doesn’t harm other people, then we will all be following the right path!

:)
I totally agree. There is no point in questioning His existence. Just think: if someone was giving proof beyond dispute, would you change your behaviour?
If no, no need to go on; you're certainly on the right path!
If yes, shit, you need a God anyway! ;)

ChiTownHoney
05-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Why are people who dont like catholicism so obsessed with it? Dont worry about us, just be on your damn way.

ego
05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, people tryed to be on their way, but Catholicism sent missionaries (to the lucky ones) or soldiers. So, people had a choice: they could deny Catholicism and see their lands burnt, or they could adopt it and burn other people's lands. :p

somedude
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Why are people who dont like catholicism so obsessed with it? Dont worry about us, just be on your damn way.
Actually evangelical protestants annoy the hell out of me far more than Catholics!

JohnnyReb
05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
What about the Mormons?

I'm not sure why this is, but the last two neighborhoods I've lived in, have been plagued by earnest young Mormons on bicycles who want to tell me about the "true" Church. :skull-ton

somedude
05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Mormons are really annoying but they're such a small sect they're more laughable than anything...it's not like one of them ended up as president or anything...

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
i would love to fuck a mormon girl - i bet they piss pussy juice !!

dashrendar44
05-29-2008, 09:37 PM
lol...why fuck ONE mormon girl when you can BECOME mormon and have 10 wives? :p

tom8517
05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
lol...why fuck ONE mormon girl when you can BECOME mormon and have 10 wives? :p

Ten wives, and they won't even let you drink. I think not!:eek:

MADDOGMCMANAMAN
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Maddog the mormon !! i like the sound of that !! - but i dont like the no beer thing at all !!

JohnnyReb
05-30-2008, 12:42 AM
I found this while looking for something else.

Robert Heinlein on the "skygods"

"The most ridiculous concept ever perpetrated by Homo Sapiens is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of his creations, that he can be persuaded by their prayers, and becomes petulant if he does not receive this flattery. Yet this ridiculous notion, without one real shred of evidence to bolster it, has gone on to found one of the oldest, largest and least productive industries in history."

dashrendar44
06-14-2008, 02:27 AM
yeah, similar to the famous george carlin rant

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

somedude
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
George Carlin...once so funny, now just bitter, sad and old...

RLA68
06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I think most hardcore comedy has a certain amount of sarcasm. It is a difficult balance some times that can turn into bitterness and something altogether negative.

I have a dark sense of humor that also exudes sarcasm...if not taken with a grain of salt then I am insulting everyone around me and a complete asshole rather than making everyone laugh.

I used to enjoy Carlin as well.

dashrendar44
06-14-2008, 10:33 PM
omg how can you hate on his new stuff? his new thing on natural disasters and the 24 hour suicide channel are hilarious!

RLA68
06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
omg how can you hate on his new stuff? his new thing on natural disasters and the 24 hour suicide channel are hilarious!

I haven't viewed his new stuff, that is why I said I used to like his stuff. Somedude said he thought Carlin was a bitter sad old man.

I feel sarcasm dances a fine line.

dashrendar44
06-14-2008, 10:49 PM
lol well that was more or less aimed at SD, but i think his humour simply took a new turn in the 80s, and i prefer it more than his old stoner stuff. you can only make fun of hippys for so long until you have to change tune, and with reagan in power, how could he NOT start bashing the government? btw fun fact on reagans election, all the anarchists voted for him in 1984, because they thought i anyone could fuck things up to the point where they wanted it, reagan could :p

touriquet2001
06-15-2008, 06:01 PM
some fairly new carlin that i think is funny ....

George Carlin - Religion is bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

dashrendar44
06-15-2008, 09:27 PM
umm...i posted that one already @_@ and thats not really new, that show is 14 years old

touriquet2001
06-15-2008, 10:19 PM
umm...i posted that one already @_@ and thats not really new, that show is 14 years old

lol oops :o :o hey for the stage life of carlin , it is fairly new !!!!

somedude
06-16-2008, 02:32 AM
The last stuff of George Carlin I found funny was from the 90s...lately he's just sad, bitter and old!

dashrendar44
06-16-2008, 05:21 PM
well of course hes old...you see, as years pass, the body does this nifty thing called "aging"...:p